Wednesday, January 20, 2010

sherlock holmes.




Guy Ritchie has definitely redeemed himself. One thing that stood out to me a lot in this film was the dialogue. It's classic Guy Ritchie. English and witty and full of sarcasm. I want to watch it again just so I can listen to them talk. It's very entertaining. I've noticed that in a lot of movies coming out lately. The character/actors mesh so well together. In this movie, it's as if Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. were meant for each other. I guess the bond they characters had between each other helped, but I still think that those two together, we're perfect.

I'm just going to get out and say it. I loved everything about this movie. The settings, the characters, the visual effects, the story, and the soundtrack. It all worked so nicely together. It just felt right. The setting, beautiful. It had that desaturated, gloomy, grayish look to it and I love seeing that in movies. I find it really appealing and visually, it's interesting. The characters, again, were great. I wasn't a fan of Watson's little Misses. Maybe her character was meant to be a bit of a twat, or maybe the actress just sucked. I don't know, I don't think I've seen her in other movies before, but she's also one of those people where I just don't like. Don't know why, but I do. Maybe I'm just bored and looking for someone to hate at the moment. Another character that I found very douche-bag-ish, if you will, was Lord Blackwood. *sigh* Maybe it was his buck teeth. Whatever it was, I'm still not a fan. He's supposed to be one of those characters that should intimidate you throughout the movie. I don't know about you guys, but that didn't work on me. At the end of the movie you realize why he gave off that douche-bag vibe. He didn't fool me.

The soundtrack was awesome! I can't wait to get that on my ipod. It just tied in so perfectly with the whole style of the movie. Mind you, Guy Ritchie has a knack for choosing awesome soundtracks for his movies. He never lets me down.

**SPOILERS**

I like how he had a bit of a fight club theme going on at the beginning. I also found it very interesting how he had the character foresee what he was going to do to people, before he actually does it. I liked that. The fight scenes were awesome. But there was one scene that was supposed to give off that intense, panic feeling, but it failed miserably. Yes, it was the director's fault. Guy, it was your fault. The best way to come out of it is to admit you were wrong. So, what happened was, they were in some kind of a warehouse of some sort. They had dead piggies hanging around by chains, and then! Holmes' eye candy appears out of nowhere hanging by chains as well going straight towards the torches of doom!! Oh, but don't panic, because there's an off switch, wheel mechanism right next to Watson, so good ol' Watson to the rescue, just turns it off and YAY she's safe from the firey torches of doom! That to me was a bit lame. One more thing...there's a shot at the end of the movie-ish. It was lovely. It was just an establishing shot of Lord Blackwood hanging and you can see the city all around him. It was just perfect. I loved it! I want to go back and look at it again. I think it's my favorite shot out of the whole movie.

Overall I was pretty satisfied with this movie. To me it seems as though Guy Ritchie only makes movies that are good to a certain level and it doesn't get better, it can, but it's as if he just can't do it. It's not amazing, it's just awesome. This movie, to me, took a step further away from the normal "just good". It still wasn't AMAZING, but it's close. It can only get better. Can't wait to see more of his work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment