Monday, January 11, 2010

the princess and the frog.


Though "The Princess and the Frog" may not have been the best choice for a Disney 'comeback' 2d film, I still felt it had a lot of heart, great ideas, and artistic showmanship. I would have assumed something more 'epic' like "The Lion King" would have been chosen to demand more audience attention.

The animation was great, especially the sequences with the Shadow Man, and the shadows. Great backgrounds. Great songs. Some cool characters. For a kid's movie it had a lot of creepy moments, which I personally enjoyed the most, and had similarities to the "Be Prepared" sequence in "The Lion King", and Ursula's Grotto in "The Little Mermaid". I loved that the movie wasn't afraid to explore different styles of animation, and thought Tiana's fantasy sequence was incredible. I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but I noticed the 3d elements a little too much, and didn't like it. I wasn't sure if it was intentional stylistically or just me picking up on things most people might not notice. Though the movie did have moments to laugh at, and moments to cry about, I'm still left wishing there was more to it... Feels like something's missing compared to Disney's best. That being said, I can't wait to see more 2d films in the future, and hope this film helped in reviving interest in the almost lost art of traditional animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment