Monday, January 11, 2010

500 days of summer.


This film completely took me by surprise. I had only seen the trailer on TV a couple times, but never fully paid attention to it, assuming it was another teen drama flick or a chick flick type movie about a young couple's relationship over the summer, or something like "Elizabethtown". I didn't think about the title's meaning, and assumed it was what it was, 500 days of summer-a season... not a name. Which led me to wonder how summer could possibly last over a year?

Wow. I am really glad I didn't really know what to expect when stepping into this film, it surprised me in a very good way. Right from the beginning it had narration that reminded me of Tim Burton's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", split screen editing similar to "Requiem For A Dream", and a whimsical nature that seemed very familiar, yet very new. It was very funny, had good, interesting characters, and was most of all, dead honest. This was not another chick flick, and everyone should see it.

**SPOILERS**

I thought it was cool to see the movie's roles reversed, with the male character as the main story, and the female character as the "not-to-be-trusted" character usually males portray. The way the story was told was very funny, yet very heart felt and expressive, and I really connected with the characters on both sides of the 'argument'. You have this goofy guy who just wants to find his soul mate, and this independent girl who doesn't want to be tied down- I wanted the guy to get the girl, but at the same time I completely understood why she chose the path she did. He wasn't the right guy for her, she found someone else, and that was that. I found myself wanting to be angry at her, and the movie for destroying the 'hopeless romantic' within me, but this was the honest side of the film that I enjoyed. No bullshit, just life. The acting was great, and the musical scene couldn't have been performed better. I believe Joseph Gordon-Levitt was made for this role. I also thought the split screen segment with the main character's expectations versus reality to be effective and creative. The ending could be argued to be a little predictable but I thought it was fitting with the movie. Another thing; the soundtrack: perfect.

Though some might think "500 Days Of Summer" to be depressing, I thought it quite the opposite. Some things were a little corny, but I thought the humour and originality made up for it. Some things were a little sad, but it was very reminiscent of everyday life. I was entertained and surprised up until the very end, left with a satisfied, and hopeful demeanour, believing everything happens for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment