Sunday, June 6, 2010

robin hood.



A lot of people I've spoken to thought this movie was awful. I personally didn't mind it that much. I love the classic Robin Hood story and not to mention the Disney movie...SO AWESOME. I knew this movie wasn't going to be a live action version of the Disney animated movie, but I knew I'd like it reguardless. Maybe not TOO much, but for what it was. I won't be throwing out any HUGE spoilers in this review, so I think it's safe to read on.

I'm a Russell Crowe fan. Obviously not the kind of fan that's going to see EVERY movie he's in, but every movie I've seen him in, I found to be enjoyable. There's just one, little thing that bugs me. He always plays heroes. You rarely see him play "the bad guy". I think he would make an interesting villain, rather than "the hero that everybody loves and he's just the most awesome person in the universe". Anyways, I didn't find anything about him in this movie that bugged me, he played his roll very well. He made an awesome Robin Hood.

The story was nice. It was more of a prequel to the original Robin Hood stories that most of us know and grew up with. It was basically how Robin Hood came to be, outlaw and all. Throughout the movie you can pick out little things that you might remember from the Disney movie. I know I'm doing some comparisons to the Disney version, but to me it's kind of the prequel to that...except it's live action. But anyways. I noticed a lot of the characters and their personalities were the same as the ones in the stories. I think it's awesome considering live action movies change a lot of the stories and characters to make it their own.

There were some boring parts, I'll admit that. This was the only movie, I found that I was falling asleep in. It seemed as if it was longer than it should have been. Had more than one ending in my opinion. Also, I didn't find the fight scenes fulfilling. But I've been noticing this in a lot of other recent movies. It's as if the writers and directors are getting bored of fight scenes. It's a shame really. I think the fight scene in this movie was a main event, but the way they made it...I just felt cheated. France came in and they were supposed to have this epic battle, but it only lasted a few minutes because France forfeited. France thought there wasn't a point in fighting a country (England) who was at war with itself. So they just took off on their little ships decked out in fleurs-de-lis. Guhhh! Just fight anyways!

All in all, I'd rate this movie a 6/10. Good characters, good story, good shots, but I still found that this movie was lacking AWESOME and the fact that they cheated us with their "epic" fight scene made it worse. Also, maybe if this movie was 30 mins shorter, would help...maybe a tad bit more. So if you want to go watch an epic film. This definitely wont be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment